Monday, January 23, 2012

Pinochle

Yes, you read that right: I said, "Pinochle."  


So, what does that have to do with triathlons or fitness? Well, I'll tell you.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I instruct a boot camp at the Orem Fitness Center. For today's work-out, we played Pinochle!  I wasn't quite sure how it would work out, but this is how I set it up:

I started by splitting the class up into four groups.  I then dealt each group twelve random cards from a Pinochle deck.  They were to keep them face down and flip over one card at a time; the cards told them what to do.  Each suit represented a different amount of reps, and each face value represented a different exercise.  Each group was to do whatever exercise the card said for as many reps as the card dictated.

I also designated a trump suit.  If any group drew a trump suit, the entire class would run (after performing the resistance exercise designated by their own group's card).  The face value of the trump card showed whether they were running up and down the hall, up and down the stairs, or around the track.

Like I said, I wasn't quite sure how it would work out, so at the end of the class, I asked what people thought.  This Pinochle work-out got rave reviews from everyone!!!  They all worked hard and said that it was a lot of fun (though being extremely difficult with all the running they ended up doing).  I had some first-timers there today who said it was "awesome" (returning boot campers said the same) and that they would definitely be back for more!  That's what I like to hear!

I'm glad I decided to do something different and try this out.  An exercise program isn't just about killing yourself every time, but it's also about having fun!  That's why I do triathlon; I think it's a lot of fun!

1 comment:

  1. This makes me want to come to your boot camp!

    ReplyDelete