Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Thirty-Three

33 years ago today; that is the day I was born.  Yes, I am turning 33 years old today, and I am not embarrassed to share that.  This is a birthday I have been excited for.  As I scoured the internet for significance of the number 33, I came across some interesting facts.  One fact is that one "blog" I came across explaining the significance of this number was just a complete copy and paste of Wikipedia. I don't want to be that lame, so if you want to know all of that, you know where to find it.  A couple of the things that I did find interesting is that 33 is considered a power number, and one of the "Master numbers."  I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds cool! The number 33 also "symbolizes truth" and "has the meaning that good will always triumph over evil."

For these new-found reasons, and for my own reasons, 33 is just a cool number.  I don't know exactly why, but it's cool.  It's the number I wore on the high school men's volleyball team.  "33" is also a song by the Smashing Pumpkins (one of the facts you'll see on Wikipedia) and has been tied with "1979" for my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song since I heard both of these songs.  For many people, 29 is the "eternal birthday;" once they turn 29, they "turn 29" on every birthday after that.  For me, it will be 33.  

The most exciting thing for me is that I will be wearing number 33 at each and every race I compete in this year.  In triathlon, there are body markings for the competitors.  Typically, an age grouper is marked with their race number on one calf and age on the other. This is partially so that other age groupers can see who their competition is.  Though I may be at the top end of what many people consider the most competitive age group in triathlon (Men's 30-34), and I will have to try to fend off those "youngsters" coming up from the lower age groups, I am excited to wear #33--a master power number--at each and every race this year! Luckily, 33 is also considered "the fastest number on planet earth!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment