Monday, December 5, 2011

The first run in my new shoes

It's been less than two days, and I am loving my new shoes already. I have really been wanting to get in a run in them, rather than just wearing them around the house, so this morning I made it happen.  I met with a client for half an hour at 6:00 a.m., and my next appointment isn't until 8, so I strapped on my shoes and went for a run.  I am trying to allow myself plenty of time to transition into this new type of shoe, so I decided not to go too far or too fast.  After a five-minute warm-up on the treadmill, I let my speed top off at 6 mph, which is a ten-minute mile.  I just went for 1 mile and then let the treadmill take me into a cool-down.

It wasn't far or fast, but it sure felt good! Even in such a short time and distance, I could feel the difference these shoes make.  My leg muscles did have to work a little differently, but it felt so much better than any other shoe I have run in (which, admittedly, has not been a whole lot: Asics, Sauconys, and Newtons). And my forefoot and toes finally have the room they need!  Yes, my fat feet could relax and run as if I didn't have a shoe constricting them.

Perhaps the most telling thing, though, is how they feel now.  I still have some time before my next client, so as I write this, I am also doing an upper body weight work-out.  Usually after a run, I want to get my feet out of my shoes as quickly as possible.  I've done weight work-outs barefoot before, just because I had to get my shoes off to let my feet breathe and relax.  Today, I still have my shoes on as I do my weight work-out (and take occasional breaks to write), and it feels really good!  The Altra box was right: it actually feels like I'm wearing slippers, not shoes! But these are "slippers" with enough support that I can run in them!

I love these shoes, and now I can't wait to start getting in some longer runs in these things!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment