Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sports Nutrition Workshop

This past Friday and Saturday, I had the opportunity to attend a Sports Nutrition Workshop, presented by Nancy Clark (M.S., R.D.) and Dr. Bill Evans (PhD), in Salt Lake City. I won't take up space here to list all the credentials and backgrounds of the two presenters; if you want to read those, visit these websites: www.sportsnutritionworkshop.com and www.nancyclarkrd.com

I will say that both of the presenters are very educated AND experienced in the field of sports nutrition. Between the two of them, they have worked with all the "Big 4" professional sports teams in the Boston area (football's Patriots, baseball's Red Sox, basketball's Celtics, and hockey's Bruins).  Nancy Clark has also written a number of books, and I picked up three of them: Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, Nancy Clark's Food Guide For Marathoners, and The Cyclist's Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance.  I figure they will be very helpful and informative, and I plan to use them extensively in both my personal and professional lives (especially if they work as well as the author claims).

The workshop, itself, was also very informative and definitely well worth the money.  Much of what was discussed was not new to me, but the way it was presented did offer a new, fresh perspective.  And there was much that was new to me.  I plan on sharing some of that right here over the coming weeks and months (though, some I will keep to myself, so-called "tricks of the trade," and if you want to know them, you'll either have to study, attend this workshop, or just come see me!).

The highlight of the workshop for me, however, was that I got to share Tina's story.  Nancy Clark talked a little bit about someone who came to see her and the program she prescribed for that person.  The question came up, "Well, what happened with this person? Did you see results?"  Nancy's answer was, "I'm not sure; she never came back."  Because I had a similar experiece with a friend and client that did provide results, I raised my hand and shared that story: Tina's story. When I was done, there were a few questions for me!  Yes, the registered dietitians, food scientists, and nurses--who paid the big bucks to hear these nationally acclaimed authors and researchers speak--had questions for me!  A simple personal trainer! They wanted to know more of what I did!

So, what is Tina's story?  Check back soon to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment